Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sewing Tip - Make Your Thread Rack Work Overtime!


So I bought a thread rack one day, with dreams of organized perfection. I envisioned all of my thread spools lined up so neatly, laid out with all of the colors in rainbow order. I thought of all of my poor little spools, stuffed in boxes and bags, all tangled up together. I was so excited about getting them all organized. I was so happy that I'd never have to search through all of those boxes and bags to find just the right color. I'd never have to search for that color, only to realize I didn't actually have it, ever again.

I grabbed my hammer as soon as I got home and hung my fabulous new rack on the wall. I grabbed all of my boxes and bags of tangled up spools and started sorting my colors. It was then that I realized my mistake... My fabulous new rack only held fifty spools! I looked at all of my spools and realized I had a least five times that amount. I'd need a wall of racks to accommodate them. In my little apartment, a wall of racks was impossible. I was so disappointed!

I was having lunch with a friend the next day when the solution came to me. I looked at the straw in my glass and got a great idea. If the dowel rods on my thread rack were longer, I could fit more spools on them!

I stopped by the grocery store on my way home and bought a box of straws. I cut them down to six-inch lengths and put them over the rods on my new thread rack. I tried placing some spools on them. I could put two or three spools on each dowel with their matching bobbins between them. I took the spools back off and the straw came with it. Oh no! I whipped out my handy glue gun and glued the ends of the straws down to the bottom of the dowel rods. Problem solved!

I still had a few spools left over, but most of my supply fit on the rack. The rack didn't quite match the vision of perfection I had when I bought it, but it's close enough for me!

1 comment:

Followers